Monday

WENDELSTEIN

Wendelstein is our local peak at 5,600 ft. JP, Ralf and I took a hike up, while many lazy people took the tram or gondola to the top. Ok, I admit, I took the tram up one time, but it was just for the experience ;).

From where we started, we ascended about 3,000 ft (equivalent to a hike a little longer than to the top of Yosemite Falls), so we were dead tired when we finally reached the top! A great benefit of German hiking is that there is always food on the way (because some mountains will have several farm houses that serve food), and/or at the top. Food is always a great motivator, and you know how German like to eat. If not, you do now!

Here's a brief pictoral of our hike. You can click on any picture to see a bigger version.

JP and Ralf putting on the sunscreen


On the way up...



I got pricked by this stupid flower! At first glance, it looked cool because there was no stem! It's just a flower stump! The petals looked silverish, like metal so I decided to see what it felt like and found out that the petal ends were sharp! Then JP started laughing and pointing at me, "Ha ha! I was waiting for you to do that!!!"



We were tired at this point but only a third of the way up. We could finally see the goal and it looked really really far.



A pretty flower along the hike



This is at the top of Wendelstein. There is, you guessed it, food! And you can see all the little people having lunch. There's also a radio broadcasting station which is the building and dishes on the top left part of the picture.



Sitting at a table with a nice view, JP was definitely ready for lunch too.



To the right side of the eating area is a cool small church. Imagine having to hike up here every Sunday morning!



On the way down...



A view of the great Kaiser Mountains along the hike.



You can probably see a running theme of activity here. Mountains mountains mountains, which I love anyway so I don't mind. Do I miss the ocean? Sorta, but not that much. Probably because I never spent much time by the water, despite living minutes away from ocean! I was just your semi-typical 9-5 LA transplant...


No comments: