Sunday

KUFSTEIN

Kufstein is an Austrian city right on the border, that is only a 20 minute train ride from our little town of Raubling.

If I look like I'm cold, it's because I am! It was windy, but also pretty. Behind me is Kufstein's castle along the Inn river.


I've been finding that just about every town that has a hill has a castle on it.

The touristy shopping walkway. Very cute.


There was a little shop that had jerky, but they were not ordinary strips of jerky. They had a pork leg jerky!

We decided to explore the castle (for a fee of course!), but instead of taking the tram up, we walked up the stair path to be as authentic of the time as possible. :) So on the way up, here is a view out of one of the windows.


A view of the Inn River from the top of the castle.


There was a museum in one of the castle halls, and this particular exhibit was cool. Under the glass floor is a geographic model of Bavaria. It was a little freaky standing on the glass because I was expecting the glass to break at any moment. Glass just doesn't feel as solid as an opaque floor, you know what I mean? (jelly bean?)


Walking down one of the narrow, steep stair corridors in the castle


After the castle, we decided to hike on the foothills of the Kaiser Mountains. We first rode up on a one person ski lift. I had never seen one before (do they exist in the US??) and it was a little scarier than a 2-4 person lift. I don't know why, but it was.


The view behind me on the lift.



We'll probably head back sometime during Christmas. We've seen pictures of how pretty the castle gets when dressed for the holidays surrounded by snow. Can't wait!

Bis später!
("see you later", pronounced bees-shpate-er)




No comments: