Monday

The Flight


Christa was so sweet to drive me to the airport from SF at 5:30am! Also, thanks so much to her cousin (2nd cousin-- FYI on the term that most of us are confused about) that let us stay in his overcrowded SF apartment!

My flight...the first leg was from SFO to Washington DC, a 4 hour ride in the morning. Some kind of electrical thing went out while we were in the air, so none of the ovens and movies didn't work. They served us some drinks and pastries that didn't need warming, but I was still starving since I didn't have any breakfast. They gave us $5 vouchers for anywhere in the airport so I spent it on McDonalds, which ran out of ketchup!

Then, on my flight from Washington DC to Munich, just half the ovens were not working! So half the plane got served and the other half had to wait 15 minutes later.

Other than all that, it was the perfect flight :). On the positive note, the pilots made smooth landings that I barely noticed. On the first leg, I ended up being in the middle row (3 seater) with no one else, so I essentially took up all three seats with all my stuff and elbows and legs. Hey, I had to take advantage of it somehow! :)



The next day....

We went to Wal-mart to get some misc items. Yes, they have Wal-Mart here! We also went to a bunch of other furniture places which basically look like IKEA. (We're just looking for rugs--the apartment is already furnished). The furniture you see at IKEA is typical of common German households. Update: I've been corrected by other Germans saying that this is not true and that IKEA is for the young Germans who don't have much money (and I went to their houses...). I'd say this is true in other countries like US and Canada as well since IKEA is so popular world-wide.


Auf Wiedersehen!
(formal good bye)

2 comments:

Bodega said...

Deutschland is always nice... My brother lives there, in Freiburg. I've visited him in June. Lots of Heffeweizen, kartoffelnsalat, etc etc etc
PERFECT

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny,
Love the pics and commentary. Sounds like you are both having a lot of fun!! Have you tried any interesting food yet? Tell JP Hello for us.
Love,
Fawn, Jimmy and JJ